Oh, things are buzzing in the Vida Vegan Con world, with Michele and Jess arriving in Austin this very morning on some official conference business (and tacos). We’ve made glorious leaps and bounds with the conference schedule and all the not-so-last-minute adjustments, which is both pretty fun and pretty zany when you’re dealing with 25+ speakers and twice as many classes.
Here’s a look at what’s shakin’ right now:
FRIDAY, MAY 29TH:
The weekend starts off with the Vida Vegan Bazaar at The Marchesa Hall & Theatre. We’re talking all things vegan expo, vendors, sampling, demos, and for the first time ever, it’s open to the public! Early bird tickets are now available for your family, friends, and anyone else who’d like to check out a big taste of Vida Vegan Con shenanigans. And OF COURSE, all registered Vida Vegan Con attendees are already on the door list and are invited to come for a very exclusive hour before everyone else gets in The Marchesa’s doors.
On top of all the festival fun times and a certain Earth Balance photobooth, we’ll have speakers and special guests sharing their expertise with Lazy Smurf’s Austin Community Panel, Joanna Vaught moderating the Vegan Family Panel, DIY Homebrewing with Bianca Phillips of Vegan Crunk, and an irresistible demo from the “Queen of Vegan Desserts,” Fran Costigan. So, so, so much more to come!
The Vida Vegan Bazaar = Exclusive to VVC attendees: 12–1 pm + Open to the public: 1–7 pm
SATURDAY, MAY 30TH:
The next day brings all our conference attendees to AT&T Executive Education & Conference Center in Austin’s University District for an action-packed day of only-at-Vida Vegan Con classes, presentations, workshops, panels, breakouts, discussion groups, new-friend-making & mingling, galore—and surely epic Texas-size vegan breakfast and lunch buffets.
Saturday Conference hours, from breakfast through the last class: 8 am – 5 pm
We’ve currently scheduled the following Saturday content, which often means two, if not three or more classes in the same session, phew:
- Cookbook Writing: From concept to proposal to testing to editing to print with Joni Marie Newman
- Food Justice with Bryant Terry
- Blogging Etiquette & Social Media Essentials with Jackie Sobon of Vegan Yack Attack
- Science Is Awesome! Why we don’t need to exaggerate health claims about veganism with Matt Ruscigno MPH RD of True Love Health & Strongest Hearts
- Zine Making Workshop with Amey Mathews of Vegan Eats & Treats
- Design & Branding with Michelle Lee of Broadview Design
- Legal Info for Online Content with Attorney Randi Milgram of Laughfrodisiac
- Post Processing for Food Photography, or How to fix almost anything with software with Susan Voisin of Fatfree Vegan Kitchen
- Preventing Ex-Vegans with Ginny Messina, “The Vegan RD“
- Food Styling Workshop with Hannah Kaminsky of BitterSweet
- Can We All Just Get Along: Finding common ground in different forms of activism with Christy Morgan, aka “The Blissful Chef“
- How to Deal With Facing Failing Health as a Vegan with Sayward Rebhal of Bonzai Aphrodite
- Demo-ing the Demo with Fran Costigan
- Touring Your Book or Project with 2014 Lambda Literary Award Winner Nicole J. Georges
- with more panels & breakouts to be announced!
SUNDAY, MAY 31ST:
continues at AT&T Executive Education Center for even more learning, community building & fun from Saturday. Ya dig?
The Sunday schedule is set to include the following:
- Kickstart/Crowdfund your Vegan Food Dream with Terry Hope Romero
- How To Make Kick-Ass Vegan Videos on YouTube with Whitney Lauritsen, aka “Eco Vegan Gal“
- Avenues to a Vegan Healthcare Career & Nutrition Wars with Gena Hamshaw of Choosing Raw
- Video & Film as Activism Through Storytelling with Sasha Perry of Strongest Hearts
- Vegan Athletes Panel with Christy Morgan, Matt Ruscigno & Lacy J. Davis
- New! Vegan Business Class TBA with Miyoko Schinner of Artisan Vegan Life & Miyoko’s Kitchen
- Writing Recipes with Grant Butler of The Oregonian’s FoodDay
- Social Media Class TBA with Brian Patton, aka “The Sexy Vegan“
- Honesty in Your Online Presence with Monique Koch of Brown Vegan
- Vegan Internet Entrepeneur Class TBA with Jill Pyle of Vegan Cuts
- On-Location Photography with Hannah Kaminsky of BitterSweet
- Veganism, Body Image, Self-Esteem, ED Recovery: How reading blogs & social media can influence all of the above with Lacy J. Davis of Superstrength Health
- Building Your Own App with Joshua May of Clue
- The Ethics of Vegan Dining & Boozing with Bianca Phillips of Vegan Crunk
- Vegan Travelin’ + Blogging with Jojo Huxster of vegan.in.brighton
- Talking Cruelty-Free Cosmetics & Beauty with Tashina Combs of Logical Harmony
- & yup, more details to come!
Sunday Conference hours, from breakfast through the closing talk: 8:30 am – 5:30 pm
Stay tuned for the big, bad official agenda!
We’ll be sure to let you know if any classes or hands-on workshops require advance signup via attendee newsletters (which you’ll receive at the address you buy your ticket with, so do let us know if there’s a change).
(And keep an eye out for Sunday night after-party info!)
💚 Please note, all is subject to change, except for the fact that this experience will be amazing. 💚