Vida Vegan HQ
Love it or hate it, there are less than 24 hours to mentally prepare for another Valentine’s Day.
Whether you’re staying in with a mail order from Lagusta’s Luscious and Casablanca, off to a romantic dinner, attempting to say the phrase “Galentine’s Day” out loud, or making tots and deciding to conquer a few seasons of Game of Thrones, Valentine’s Day is about love and celebrating’ that special day with yourself, your loved ones, or your cat. In any case, we hope you spend the day in an enjoyable manner with only a smattering of pink confetti and a bit of thanks in your heart for the people you love.
Here are some ideas from all of us at Vida Vegan Headquarters on a variety of ways to make the evening special, and some topics to tackle blogging (whether you have a bit of spare time tomorrow, decide to Instagram dinner, or tackle writing about it all next week):
- Find those cookie cutters. Yes, you could easily make heart-shaped pancakes or a cake or even polenta/quinoa molds, but how about dinosaurs? Who doesn’t love dinosaurs?! Plus, it really gets you thinking about the past and future, so ring-a-ding-ding…or, just figure out how to make every single thing you eat that day heart-shaped.
- Sneaky, sneaky. Does your significant other or bff(s) read your blog? Probably. Maybe (or maybe they say they do). Try posting about something TOTALLY different than what you actually have planned. Surprise, surprise.
- Go big and go garlic. Roasted garlic lasagna and garlic bread sounds lovely. It’s called intimacy, right?
- DIY V-Day Craft Ideas: Make your own science-y valentine, like these! Subversive Cross Stitch is always there for you. Um…therapeutic pin cushion?
- You Time.Stay in, say screw it, and pop in (okay, stream) some cheesy ‘80s horror and actually pop some popcorn while you brush your cat’s hair. We know you have at least one cat.
- Date Night. Go on, go out to dinner at a vegan (or vegan-friendly) restaurant if you want to! Whether it’s a fancy date, take out, a dive bar, or a slice, you deserve it.
- We Get You. Seriously, have dinner with your cat. Serve everything in wine glasses.
- Schadenfreude. Share your worst adolescent breakup story, that horrible Roxette song that was somehow “yours,” and recreate (veganize) the mall-food-court super deluxe cheese fries you shared on your first date.
- Your Soundtrack: Get down with your single self with Spotify’s ‘Singleton’ playlist. Or, if you’ve got a sweetie, annoy them with these Spotify love song playlists while makin’ dinner or makin’ out.
- Break Out the Candles. Any night’s an excuse for a lovely homemade, vegan meal for two (or three, or whatever’s your bag), V Day’s the big leagues. Here are some romantic recipe ideas to get you inspired:
- Seitan & Waffles with Pomegranate Syrup via The PPK
- Shaved Brussels Sprout with Whole Grain Mustard Sauce via Vedge Restaurant
- Candle 79’s Vegan Paella via City Spoonful
- Allison Rivers Samson’s Double Cheese Lasagna via VegNews
- Portobello’s Cashew Cream Pizza via Serious Eats
- When in doubt, just beet it. via Pinterest
- Ancho Chocolate Pie via Vegan Secret Supper (Jess note: this book is mesmerizing!)
I know, one mere dessert recipe?! As if you don’t have something already up your sleeve.
Rest assured, #11 is an honorary mention (aka one big duh) for thematically-inclined bubbles, cocktails & mocktails, of course.
Enjoy your day, whatever you do, and feel free to share your ideas and plans in the comments!
Hello, hello! Team Vida Vegan HQ returned from Vegas less than two weeks ago, and as usual, we’ve been hard at work, seriously inspired and sketching out the next three years on our calendar (er, smartphones and Google docs). There is so much in store! It’s no secret that we’re looking at a few very special cities for the much-anticipated Vida Vegan Con III, and that’s in addition to our other events. Read up on this post from way back when, aka last summer, for a reminder on just what those may be: Team Vida Vegan’s Always Cooking Something Up!
It’s also no secret that we adored our first location scouting trip to Austin last February, and with the local vegan community and dining scene growing to epic proportions, including the Capital City storefront, Mr. Natural’s brand-new new vegan brunch, and the new Wheatsville location, we’re coming back in mere days!
Date: Thursday, February 6, 2014
Janessa, Michele and myself will all be there — coats, potential scarves and requisite sunglasses in tow — to hear your ideas for Vida Vegan Con III. We’d also like to know just what else you’d like to see and attend, and frankly, where we should get all those dang vegan tacos. All are welcome!
We do have a ton of appointments at event venues booked around the Austin area already, and are totally open to more suggestions. Please contact us with any tips!
And if you’d like to see more about our Vegas location scouting, check out the hashtag #VidaScoutsVegas. We’ll have a post up detailing the experience and a few of our favorite locations and meals up soon enough, have no doubt.
This sums it up nicely:
Will you be in the Vegas area on January 16th?
Get ready: Janessa, Michele and myself, your friendly Vida Vegan organizers, will be doing some location scouting and vegan eating this winter across the US, and coming to a city* near you!
First up, we’re hitting Las Vegas, NV and wherever we go, we want to get to know the local vegan community. It’s what our growing series of events are all about, and for. If you’d like to talk about being vegan in Vegas, the internet, how to throw your own vegan events and festivals, where you’d like to see upcoming Vida Vegan events, or even where to get the best vegan tacos in town, come meet us for a ‘Vegan Drinks’-style Meetup on Thursday, January 16 at Bar & Bistro.
Vegan Drinks is a social, networking event held in various cities, and while Las Vegas’ is temporarily on hold, we wanted to host a “pop-up” Vegan Drinks evening, if you will, while we’re in town.
Here’s the official Meetup event (though please feel free to come if you don’t have an account) and more details:Location: Bar & Bistro 107 East Charleston Boulevard #155, Las Vegas, NV Date: Thursday, January 16, 2014 Time: 5:00pm-7:00pm in the lounge area
Bring an appetite, some cash (this is not a hosted event), maybe some business cards of at least your Twitter and Instagram handles, check out the Vegan Menu and we’ll see you there!
*Okay, two cities within North America, so far. Many, many more to come. We’re open to suggestions!