Psssst….between us, we received over 100 submissions when we posted our open call for speakers for the second Vida Vegan Con, in May 2013. The decision-making was SUCH hard work and an ongoing process for several weeks after the deadline closed (this was May 1, 2012—over a year in advance!) We wanted a smaller pool of speakers vs. our 2012 conference, to open more opportunities for our wonderful speakers to share their thoughts, and we now have an utterly amazing list of talented individuals we are stoked to reveal soon.
With that, we thought it was time to more-than-officially leak a few names, because if you’re like us organizers, any whisper of Vida Vegan news is always exciting.
Reflecting the grand list (which will be posted on its own page later this summer, we promise), these folks are passionate individuals who you may recognize as authors, speakers, community leaders, witty writers, bloggers, activists, hosts, 2011 speakers, new folks we’re thrilled to add, and delightful combinations of all and any of the above.
Vida Vegan presents the following speakers for our second conference (in no particular order):
And this is just a sneak peak at the full lineup. More to come! With handy links & all. Tickets (and scholarships!) are still available over here.
See you all back in Portland in May!
If you’re interested in speaking at the August 2014 conference in Chicago, IL, stay tuned for the open call! No need to email us at this time.
Now that you’ve all read the big announcement (we’re SO EXCITED), we want to share this reminder with you:
Potential speakers: your applications are due by MAY 1. This is for everyone; those of you who spoke in 2011 and want to speak again, and those of you who didn’t speak in 2011 but want to in 2013.
The Travel Panel, 2011. Photo courtesy of Veg News.
Remember that we’re aiming for a smaller speaking pool this time around, and you’ll be likely asked for involvement twice, if not three times or more, during the weekend conference. Think talks, panels, discussion groups, etc. Keep an open mind–and get ready to talk.
Please remember that all speakers are subject to approval. All traveling speakers will be offered a limited travel credit reimbursement.
With that, please see this link, and we welcome past speakers, attendees, and new folks to apply away!
See you guys in May 2013 in Portland!
It’s time for some official Vida Vegan Con class news – Dynise Balcavage, of The Urban Vegan, is seeking submissions for her class, an ‘Extreme Food Writing Workshop‘, one of a few classes discussing the art of food writing itself at the conference. Here’s the request, via Dynise:
Wanted: Food blog post “makeover” candidates for my Viva Vegan conference workshop
Are your culinary descriptions as wilted as last week’s lettuce? Food blogging requires the ability to make readers “taste” your creations using words alone – & as few as possible. I’ll help you pare down your writing & “tofu up” your descriptiveness. Want one of your blog posts made over? Send me a link: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: This is not limited to conference goers. Jump on in, folks!
Recently, the Vida Vegan Con organizers sat down with our pens, markers, assorted highlighters, printouts, posterboard, computers, Michele’s cat, teacups of mimosa, and here today, we officially present our 2011 Vida Vegan Con Classes and Speaking Assignments:
Of course, everything is subject to change. Expect surprises. Our fingers are still crossed for a special guest appearance and dance-along with Ellen.
- Activism Panel
- Dating & Mating Panel
- Group & Community Blogging
- Marketing Panel
- Nutritional Panel
- Parenting Panel
- Publishing Panel
- Small Town, Represent! Panel
- Travel Panel
- Extreme Food Writing Makeover, Dynise Balcavage, Urban Vegan
- Budgeting & Meal Planning
- Special Presentation by Isa Chandra Moskowitz, The Post Punk Kitchen
- Special Presentation by Terry Hope Romero, The Post Punk Kitchen
- Special Presentation by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau, Compassionate Cooks
- Product Reviews & Ethics
- Reality, Identity & Blogging
- Soft & Fuzzy Blogging
- Special Diets/Lifestyles
- The Accidental Journalist
- Special Joint Presentationby…
- Your Blog Sucks: Opinionated Blogger Takeover
- Vegan Fashion
- Writer’s Block
- Culinary Photography(for Veterans and Newbs)
Cooking Demos at Whole Foods:
- To be Announced! (If you’re a speaker and interested – shoot us an email!)
- To Be Announced!
- Isa Chandra Moskowitz, The Post Punk Kitchen
Speaking of greatness, if you’re one of our speakers or moderators and don’t feel up to date, email us and let’s get in the loop! As always, stay tuned for more. Detailed email updates are going out for each class starting today.
As of this post, the conference is entirely sold out, but email us immediately at VidaVeganConference [at] gmail.com to join the waitlist and we’ll let you know if spots open.
All three organizers (Janessa, Michele & myself) will be doing giveaways on our own blogs, as well as our sponsors. The first creative contest will be announced this weekend on Get Sconed!
Everything is still in development, but if you have any questions or concentrations you’d like the panels, classes, and workshops to cover, simply email us at VidaVeganConference[at]gmail.com or post on our facebook wall.
We can’t make any guarantees, but we’ll all try our hardest in this big group effort of vegan community!
Look for select live-streaming of the event if you can’t attend! www.vidavegancon.com
Our Saturday evening Silent Auction & Galarama will be open to the public as well – details to come! Consider it the vegan prom for vegan bloggers. That’s right.
See you all this summer at the world’s first vegan blogging conference!
Here comes the final Speaker roundup for Vida Vegan Con in August 2011. The full list is here.
If you’re thinking, “Holy Crap! That’s a long list!” it’s because there are so many inspirational, charismatic vegan bloggers, and we were honestly shocked and awed that so many confirmed interest! The organizers sat down to our first round of scheduling in talks, panels, and workshops last weekend, and it’s pretty mind-blowing with greatness and 2-3 sessions per time slot.
Our deadline for speaking is now closed, and without further adieu, here are the last of our confirmed speakers:
- Amey Mathews, Vegan Eats and Treats
- Amy Gedgaudas, Tahini Too, Brownie Wonderland (in progress cookbook)
- Chelsea Lincoln, Flavor Vegan
- Erika Larson, The Cosmopolitan Hour, Soyfucker
- Gena Hamshaw, Choosing Raw
- Ginny Messina, The Vegan R.D.
- Hannah Kaminsky, BitterSweet Blog, My Sweet Vegan, Author
- Isa Chandra Moskowitz, The Post Punk Kitchen, Vegan Brunch, Veganomicon, Vegan with a Vengeance, Author
- Janessa Philemon-Kerp, Epicurious Vegan, Modified Style
- Jess, Get Sconed!, Stumptown Vegans
- Joni Marie Newman, Just the Food, 500 Vegan Recipes, Cozy Inside, Author
- Jordan Pattern, The Cosmopolitan Hour, Vegansaurus.com
- Julie Hasson, Everyday Dish TV, Native Bowl, Vegan Diner (coming soon), Author
- Kittee Berns, Paku Paku, Cake Maker to the Stars, Papa Tofu, Author
- Laura Beck, Vegansaurus.com
- Lidiana Cruz, The Spicy Vegan
- Maeve Connor, Chloe and Louvella
- Meave Gallagher, Vegansaurus.com
- Melisser Elliot, The Urban Housewife, Cruelty Free Face, The Vegan Girl’s Guide to Life, Author
- Michele Truty, Vegtastic Voyage
- Sherri Montgomery, Vegan Nosh, Like Words Together
- Susan Voisin, Fat Free Vegan Kitchen, Fat Free Vegan
- Tamisin Noyes, American Vegan Kitchen, Vegan Appetite, Author
- Webly Bowles, Fueled by Popcorn, Stumptown Vegans
- Wendy Gabbe Day, Veg Food & Fit, Scatter Vegan Sweets, Author
See these lovely folks in August:
Throw some exclamation points into the air, because we’re getting a contingent from….
And last but not least:
With that, Early Bird Registration is still open!
Who wouldn’t want to listen to these fine folks speak and unite with their fellow vegan bloggers? We’re already gearing up for a weekend of hugs and coconut creamer.