Vida Vegan Con
This time yesterday, your friendly organizers at Vida Vegan HQ were joined by Monique Koch of Brown Vegan for a very special Google Hangout as part of our brand new VVC Speaker Series. As a first-time speaker, Vida Vegan Con has been on this vegan family, healthy cooking and lifestyle blogger’s radar for quite some time, and we’re stoked that she can join to share her journey and thoughts this May,
Check out the interview below to hear Monique’s passionate yet practical thoughts on helping your entire household go vegan with her self-described “down-to-earth approach to vegan life for families”, how A. Breeze Harper’s Sistah Vegan inspired who she is today, where she stands on tacos vs. burritos, and of course, her plans for class and panel involvement at the upcoming Vida Vegan Con.
Afterwards, head over to Google Plus, where you can add Vida Vegan to your circles, and make sure you hear first about the upcoming exclusive talks in our ongoing Speaker Series. And for goodness sake, make sure you turn notifications off so you don’t get emailed every day.
Look for Monique at Vida Vegan Con May 29-31st, where she’ll be presenting on “Honesty in Your Online Presence” and joining our “Vegan Family Panel” at Friday’s (open to the public!) Vegan Bazaar.
With Vida Vegan Con III just a few months away (get your conference tickets! start planning your taco map! ask your friends to come with you and attend the first ever PUBLIC vegan bazaar!), we three organizers are scheduling as many direct and personal Google Hangout chats with our talented speakers as time allows. Tune in and follow along with us!
We had the pleasure of speaking with Lacy Davis of Super Strength Health a few days ago. This lady is awesome. She’ll be traveling to Austin and attending Vida Vegan Con as a first-time speaker to present on How Reading Blogs & Social Media Can Influence Veganism, Body Image, Self-Esteem, ED Recovery. We chat with her about how she got started, which projects she’s working on, who inspires her, and she answers the all-important age old question: taco or burrito?
Oh, things are buzzing in the Vida Vegan Con world, with Michele and Jess arriving in Austin this very morning on some official conference business (and tacos). We’ve made glorious leaps and bounds with the conference schedule and all the not-so-last-minute adjustments, which is both pretty fun and pretty zany when you’re dealing with 25+ speakers and twice as many classes.
Here’s a look at what’s shakin’ right now:
FRIDAY, MAY 29TH:
The weekend starts off with the Vida Vegan Bazaar at The Marchesa Hall & Theatre. We’re talking all things vegan expo, vendors, sampling, demos, and for the first time ever, it’s open to the public! Early bird tickets are now available for your family, friends, and anyone else who’d like to check out a big taste of Vida Vegan Con shenanigans. And OF COURSE, all registered Vida Vegan Con attendees are already on the door list and are invited to come for a very exclusive hour before everyone else gets in The Marchesa’s doors.
On top of all the festival fun times and a certain Earth Balance photobooth, we’ll have speakers and special guests sharing their expertise with Lazy Smurf’s Austin Community Panel, Joanna Vaught moderating the Vegan Family Panel, DIY Homebrewing with Bianca Phillips of Vegan Crunk, and an irresistible demo from the “Queen of Vegan Desserts,” Fran Costigan. So, so, so much more to come!
The Vida Vegan Bazaar = Exclusive to VVC attendees: 12–1 pm + Open to the public: 1–7 pm
SATURDAY, MAY 30TH:
The next day brings all our conference attendees to AT&T Executive Education & Conference Center in Austin’s University District for an action-packed day of only-at-Vida Vegan Con classes, presentations, workshops, panels, breakouts, discussion groups, new-friend-making & mingling, galore—and surely epic Texas-size vegan breakfast and lunch buffets.
Saturday Conference hours, from breakfast through the last class: 8 am – 5 pm
We’ve currently scheduled the following Saturday content, which often means two, if not three or more classes in the same session, phew:
- Cookbook Writing: From concept to proposal to testing to editing to print with Joni Marie Newman
- Food Justice with Bryant Terry
- Blogging Etiquette & Social Media Essentials with Jackie Sobon of Vegan Yack Attack
- Science Is Awesome! Why we don’t need to exaggerate health claims about veganism with Matt Ruscigno MPH RD of True Love Health & Strongest Hearts
- Zine Making Workshop with Amey Mathews of Vegan Eats & Treats
- Design & Branding with Michelle Lee of Broadview Design
- Legal Info for Online Content with Attorney Randi Milgram of Laughfrodisiac
- Post Processing for Food Photography, or How to fix almost anything with software with Susan Voisin of Fatfree Vegan Kitchen
- Preventing Ex-Vegans with Ginny Messina, “The Vegan RD“
- Food Styling Workshop with Hannah Kaminsky of BitterSweet
- Can We All Just Get Along: Finding common ground in different forms of activism with Christy Morgan, aka “The Blissful Chef“
- How to Deal With Facing Failing Health as a Vegan with Sayward Rebhal of Bonzai Aphrodite
- Demo-ing the Demo with Fran Costigan
- Touring Your Book or Project with 2014 Lambda Literary Award Winner Nicole J. Georges
- with more panels & breakouts to be announced!
SUNDAY, MAY 31ST:
continues at AT&T Executive Education Center for even more learning, community building & fun from Saturday. Ya dig?
The Sunday schedule is set to include the following:
- Kickstart/Crowdfund your Vegan Food Dream with Terry Hope Romero
- How To Make Kick-Ass Vegan Videos on YouTube with Whitney Lauritsen, aka “Eco Vegan Gal“
- Avenues to a Vegan Healthcare Career & Nutrition Wars with Gena Hamshaw of Choosing Raw
- Video & Film as Activism Through Storytelling with Sasha Perry of Strongest Hearts
- Vegan Athletes Panel with Christy Morgan, Matt Ruscigno & Lacy J. Davis
- New! Vegan Business Class TBA with Miyoko Schinner of Artisan Vegan Life & Miyoko’s Kitchen
- Writing Recipes with Grant Butler of The Oregonian’s FoodDay
- Social Media Class TBA with Brian Patton, aka “The Sexy Vegan“
- Honesty in Your Online Presence with Monique Koch of Brown Vegan
- Vegan Internet Entrepeneur Class TBA with Jill Pyle of Vegan Cuts
- On-Location Photography with Hannah Kaminsky of BitterSweet
- Veganism, Body Image, Self-Esteem, ED Recovery: How reading blogs & social media can influence all of the above with Lacy J. Davis of Superstrength Health
- Building Your Own App with Joshua May of Clue
- The Ethics of Vegan Dining & Boozing with Bianca Phillips of Vegan Crunk
- Vegan Travelin’ + Blogging with Jojo Huxster of vegan.in.brighton
- Talking Cruelty-Free Cosmetics & Beauty with Tashina Combs of Logical Harmony
- & yup, more details to come!
Sunday Conference hours, from breakfast through the closing talk: 8:30 am – 5:30 pm
Stay tuned for the big, bad official agenda!
We’ll be sure to let you know if any classes or hands-on workshops require advance signup via attendee newsletters (which you’ll receive at the address you buy your ticket with, so do let us know if there’s a change).
(And keep an eye out for Sunday night after-party info!)
💚 Please note, all is subject to change, except for the fact that this experience will be amazing. 💚
Happy December Holidays + Cheers to the almost New Year!
We seriously dug checking out all of your celebrating and creativity for the #veganholidays these past few days! Here is just a handful of all the beautiful, memorable and tasty happenings that caught our eyes from such an inspiring collection. Personally, I went out to one of my favorite Thai spots on xmas to avoid cooking, so it was pretty dang fun to live so vicariously!
Check out all of these lovely folks’ feeds for more.
First up, some mini mince meat pies adorned with little stars, courtesy of Jojo, aka @veganinbrighton!
Next up, let’s head to Melbourne with @veganmiam for a slice of this lovely, raw christmas cheesecake from Pana Chocolate:
Here’s @astigvegan’s “Champorado”, a chocolate rice porridge with coconut milk and salty, seaweed-dredged tofu.
Sweet + salty? Count me in.
So much charm: Fresh mint & pineapple punch and cunningly *deviled potatoes* from @plantmunchers
Here’s a gorgeous and rather jolly green smoothie from @chemese:
Ponder this: Is the best part of gingerbread cookies decorating them however the heck you want, or what?!?
What we mean is, @ameyfm‘s kitchen is quite inspired!
More sweets: @21stcenturyeden breaks out some fantastic vegan peanut butter twix:
I’ll let the caption for this next one speak for itself, go figure…
“Christmas-ing our balls off. Spot the many vegan options, including my beloved @auntieloostreats’ Yule log!” via @lbennet3
George, always quite the star. via @pandawithcookie
The following cheeseball has been haunting my dreamssssss. via @vegancuts by @johnwiseman
Give it up for @dimsimkitty and these surely tasty vegan ham & cheese croissants:
Lush love: @ethical_vegan received one heck of a sweet haul!
Yes, please! Traditional Vanille-Kipferl from @nathalie.claire:
@Plantenergy_ brightens up the party with her refreshing veggie sushi:
Let’s be real, there’s always room for biscuits, especially when they look as comforting and savoury as @jlgoesvegan’s recent take:
As if we’d close things down without a slice of buche de noel. This one is adorned with marzipan mushrooms, for peter’s sake! via @vegans_for_peace by @joaniebhansen
‘Til next time! Happy New Year, everyone!
(21 weeks ’til Vida Vegan Con 2015! Register here.)
For more strolling, head to #veganholidays on Gramfeed
Vida Vegan Con organizers Janessa and Michele have returned even more enamored with Austin after a week of very important meetings and venue walk-throughs and just as necessary vegan food truck hopping. They met with old VVC family, new speakers, and met some local Austin business owners, cooking up all sorts of plans for May 2015. Did you spy them around town, margarita or black coffee in hand?
Here’s a few photos of what they were up to:
Meanwhile, back in Portland, Jess held down the Vida Vegan HQ homebase (make that: whatever coffeeshop she happened to be running into, then being Tula) and remained obsessing over all things vegan mac & cheese with a certain sold out showcase taking place.
What’s new with you?
Stay tuned this week for our last minute Vegan Thanksgiving roundup and do let us know if you’d like to be included!