First up in our series of personalized Portland Picks is the one-and-only Panda with Cookie, aka Lisa Coulson. These recommendations are from trusty Portland vegan locals and lovers, and we bet all our attendees, whether you’re arriving early or not, want to squeeze a little time outside of the busy, busy conference wandering in our vegan wonderland. Let’s find out Lisa’s Portland-musts below…
Your Name: Lisa Coulson
Your Website/Business: Panda With Cookie
What to See:
1. Mt. Tabor. Lovely place for a stroll and a beautiful neighborhood in the spring.
2. Downtown waterfront. An excellent location for a bike ride next to the river. Roll down the Springwater trail to check out the feral cat feeding stations and the twin fluffy black cats there on occasion.
3. Portland Farmers Market, Saturdays at PSU. I love me some farmers markets and there’s a good number of vegan options aside from the usual piles of produce.
Where to get your Pizza, Scone & Waffles on:
1. Dovetail Bakery. Best scones in the US. Get many and bring me one.
2. Dove Vivi. Cornmeal crust pizza with roasted corn and homemade cashew cheese. Add the smoked tomatoes. Can I get a hallelujah for a place that still does their own cheese instead of using a packaged one?
3. FlavourSpot. Get your maple pecan Dutch waffle taco on.
Where to Sip Some Tea:
1. Townshend’s Tea. 2 locations serving mighty fine teas.
Lapsang souchong it up.
2. Lan Su. Chinese garden downtown that is a lovely place to visit. They have a tea house with a nice selection.
Where to Shop:
2. Powell’s Books. Support your local independent book sellers. Sweetpea treats are in their cafe area.
3. Get some Heidi Ho chia cheese sauce. That stuff is good on everything. Usually in the cold case at Food Fight!